Sunday, June 15, 2008


From Samuel Duodu, Sunyani.

The Sunyani Magistrate’s Court ‘B’, presided over by Mr Albert Zoogah, has sentenced a 21-year-old unemployed man who resisted arrest and with the help of an irate mob assaulted the two policemen who were detailed to effect his arrest for stealing, to a fine of GH¢92 or in default serve a six-month imprisonment with labour.
The convict, Appiah Kubi, pleaded guilty to the counts of stealing, resisting arrest and escape from lawful custody and was subsequently sentenced by the court based on his own plea.
The facts of the case as presented in court by Chief Inspector Alex Fosu were that in October, last year, two policemen, Lance Corporals Emmanuel Akatsi and Solomon Tettey, were detailed to effect the arrest of Appiah Kubi who was being sought for by the police in a stealing case.
He said the two policemen managed to trace the convict to Abesim, and when the policemen were about to arrest him he became furious and resisted arrest.
The prosecutor stated that the policemen managed to handcuff him on the left wrist but he prevented them from handcuffing the other hand and in the process an irate mob besieged the scene and obstructed the policemen and helped the convict to flee.
Chief Inspector Fosu told the court that in the process the policemen were assaulted and all efforts to trace Appiah Kubi proved futile.
Appiah Kubi was arrested again in an assault case by the police at Ejura where he had absconded to.
He said the Ejura police detected a scar on the left wrist of the convict and when he was interrogated he confessed having destroyed the handcuff put on his wrist by the police in Sunyani, at Abesim, but he was helped by a mob to run to Accra where he was assisted by a welder to destroy the handcuff around his left wrist, hence the scar.
Chief Inspector Fosu added that the convict was brought down to Sunyani and after investigations he was charged with the offence and subsequently put before the court.

No comments: