Wednesday, April 15, 2009


FIRE has destroyed a greater part of the nine-bedroom private residence of the paramount chief of Dwenem Traditional Area in the Brong-Ahafo Region.
The residence of Nana Bofo Bene IV, the Omanhene, which is located at Low Cost Area, Odumase, in the Sunyani West District, caught fire in the early hours of last Thursday.
No casualty was recorded but the personal belongings of Nana Bene, including his Nissan Premera saloon car, educational certificates, jewels, traditional regalia and some vital documents belonging to the Dwenem Traditional Council, the Brong Ahafo Regional House of Chiefs and the National House of Chiefs were completely destroyed by the fire.
Nana Bene, who is also an Assistant Director in charge of Finance and Administration at the Sunyani Municipal Education Directorate, told the Daily Graphic that he had retired to bed after their normal family prayers at around 1 am when he heard an unusual noise in the garage, which was close to his bedroom.
According to him, he thought the noise he heard was caused by a rainstorm because of the thick clouds that had formed that night, but after 30 minutes, he saw that it was a fire outbreak that had begun from the garage where the car was parked.
Nana Bene, known in private life as Mr Samuel Takyi Ampofo, said since his bedroom was next to the garage, he got up immediately and alerted members of his family, including his wife, who began to pack some personal belongings from the various rooms at 1:30 a.m.
He said he had difficulty in reaching the fire service personnel for assistance until 2:40 a.m. when personnel of the Sunyani Municipal Fire Command came in to assist to put out the fire, at which time the fire had completely destroyed the garage, his bedroom and everything in them, including his car and other personal belongings, which he estimated at over GH¢20,000.
The Sunyani Municipal Fire Officer, Mr Kwesi Baffour Awuah, confirmed the fire outbreak, which he described as domestic.
He said the cause of the fire was electrical, which started from the garage and spread to the master bedroom.
Mr Awuah, who is also a Divisional Fire Officer Grade Three, said the command received the distress call at 2:38 a.m. and arrived at the scene at 2:42 a.m. while his men who attended to the fire were able to put out the fire around 3:20 a.m.

No comments: