Friday, September 17, 2010


From Samuel Duodu, Kintampo.

A 23-YEAR-OLD supervisor at the Kintampo Health Research Centre who could not look on for his half-brother who forged his signature to withdraw money from his accounts to be sentenced to imprisonment has interceded on his behalf for the court to tamper justice with mercy.
Sulemana Moro, who is also the complainant in the case, therefore pleaded with the Kintampo Magistrate Court, presided over by Mr Albert Zoogah, to free his-half brother, 23, and a former teacher, who has been sentenced to a fine of 10 penalty units or in default serve five months imprisonment on three counts of stealing.
Christopher Dawuni, now unemployed, pleaded guilty to stealing and was convicted and sentenced accordingly.
Passing judgement, Mr Zoogah said he took into consideration the fact that the convict apologised to his half-brother who is also the complainant, which was accepted by the later and also the plea by the complainant for the court to free the convict who is related to him.
The presiding magistrate also said the court considered the fact that the convict was unemployed and the demeanour of the convict in passing the lean sentence.
The facts of the case as presented in court by Deputy Police Corporal (D/CPL) Mr S. Gbande were that the complainant is a supervisor at the Kintampo Health Research Centre (KHRC) while the convict is unemployed. He told the court that the parties involved in the case were also half-brothers.
D/CPL Gbande said the complainant had a savings account with the National Investment Bank (NIB). However, in August 2010, the complainant reported to his bankers that his savings account No. 3459 had been tampered with.
He said the complainant, therefore, alerted his bankers and on August 23, 2010, at about 11.25a.m., the convict entered the banking hall, picked a withdrawal form and forged the complainant’s signature on it and presented it to the cashier in an attempt to withdraw Gh¢5.00 from the brother’s account.
He said the convict was caught “red- handed” and handed over to the Police at Kintampo.
D/CPL Gbande said during investigation, the convict admitted the offence and further investigation led to the previous theft on August 8 and 12, 2010, of Gh¢20.00 and Gh¢10.00, respectively, withdrawn from the accounts to which the convict admitted responsibility.

No comments: