ONE of the two victims of alleged food poisoning who were on admission at the Berekum Holy Family Hospital died over the weekend.
The deceased, Richard Opoku, a worker of the Berekum Municipal National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) office, was among the 34 who reported at the hospital and other health facilities in and around Berekum with severe stomach pains, diarrhoea and vomiting after eating fried rice at the Emmanuel Fast Foods, a popular fast food joint, on Valentine’s Day.
Authorities at the hospital and the Municipal Health Directorate have, however, not been able to establish the cause of his death, since they claimed the deceased had other health challenges.
The acting Berekum Municipal Health Director, Mr Samuel Opoku, who confirmed the death of Richard Opoku to the Daily Graphic, said although the deceased was one of the food poison victims, it could not be established whether he died as a result of the poisoning or not.
He said Opoku's body had, therefore, been sent to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital for post-mortem examination.
“While awaiting the report, we are appealing to residents to remain calm as the health directorate is working in close collaboration with other relevant agencies to forestall a recurrence,” Mr Opoku said.
The Daily Graphic in its February 20 and February 24, 2010 editions reported the demolishing of a food joint by some irate youth and public education exercises by the health directorate on food safety measures as a result of a case of food poisoning on Valentine’s Day.
It was alleged that 34 persons reported of severe abdominal pains, diarrhoea and vomiting at the Berekum Holy Family Hospital as a result of the food they allegedly ate at the Emmanuel Fast Food Joint.
The owner of the food joint is said to have fled the town since the incident occurred, leading to the demolishing of the joint by some youth.