Tuesday, March 23, 2010


A two-day inter-school sports festival at the Techiman Senior High School (TESS) turned violent when the students threw stones and other offensive missiles at their fellows from other participating schools and later held 133 of them hostage.
It took the timely intervention of the police who fired tear gas to disperse the irate students who were on rampage and also to free the 133 students.
Sixteen students who were injured in the process were rushed to the Techiman Holy Family Hospital where they were treated and discharged.
The reason for the action of the students of TESS was that students from the other participating schools, had thrown their support behind the female team of Busunya SHS from the Nkoranza North District, which they claimed led to the defeat of the female team of TESS in the final match.
One of the students who sustained serious head injury from the stone throwing has been referred for surgery at the hospital. Two vehicles of the police had their windscreens smashed and three vehicles belonging to some of the participating schools got damaged.
Seven persons made up of six students and a national service person of TESS were arrested and later granted police enquiry bail.
According to the police, the national service person, who is a teacher is alleged to have incited the students to engage in the act.
The other participating schools in the competition were the Tuobodom, Buoyem, Offuman, Akumfi Ameyaw and Busunya senior high schools.
Briefing the Daily Graphic, the Techiman Municipal Police Commander, Superintendent Joseph A. Gyau, said the incident broke out when the Busunya SHS female team defeated their Techiman counterparts in the finals of the soccer competition at the sports festival.
He said it was alleged that the defeat of the host school’s female football team did not go down well with their male counterparts, who, therefore, decided to throw stones at students of the other participating schools for supporting their opponent.

No comments: