The National Security Adviser, Brigadier-General Joseph Nunoo-Mensah, has called on all stakeholders to help resolve the impasse between the Tuobodomhene and the Techimanhene that led to the recent violent clashes at Tuobodom, near Techiman, in the Brong Ahafo Region.
He, therefore, appealed to both sides in the conflict to allow the due process and the law to take its course instead of resorting to violent means to resolve their differences.
Brig-Gen Nunoo-Mensah, who is also the leader of the government delegation tasked to mediate in the conflict, made the call in an interaction with newsmen after the delegation had conferred with the Techimanhene, Oseadeeyo Akumfi Ameyaw IV, at his palace in Techiman yesterday.
Other members of the delegation were the Presidential Advisor, Dr Christine Amoako-Nuamah; the Minister of Energy, Dr Joe Oteng Adjei; the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Alhaji Collins Dauda; the General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr Johnson Asiedu Nketiah; the Brong Ahafo Regional Minister, Mr Kwadwo Nyamekye-Marfo, and the Board Chairman of the National Sports Council, Mr Kojo Bonsu.
According to Brig-Gen Nunoo-Mensah, the delegation was on a fact-finding mission and now that they had been able to gather what actually led to the disturbances at Tuobodom, they would submit a report to the President immediately for the appropriate action to be taken.
The National Security Adviser said he was not in the position to comment on the action that would be taken against those security personnel who failed to react to avert the clashes but now that the root cause of the violence had been established, the government would help resolve the matter amicably.
Brig-Gen. Nunoo-Mensah also appealed to the media to be circumspect in their reportage on the conflict in order not to escalate the tension that had been calmed following the visit of the government delegation to the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, and the Techimanhene, Oseadeeyo Ameyaw, at their respective palaces.
He noted that the root cause of the recent disturbances at Tuobodom was as a result of the failure of the security agencies to bring to book the perpetrators who shot into the Techimanhene’s convoy while on his way to Tuobodom for their Yam Festival in 2008, saying since justice delayed was justice denied the people felt they must react and that led to the conflict.
The Techimanhene, Oseadeeyo Ameyaw, who was flanked by other members of the traditional council clad in mourning cloth during the call by the government delegation, appealed to the youth of the area to exercise restraint in the face of extreme provocation and allow the law to take its course in the matter.
He also impressed on the people of Techiman not to do anything that would disturb the peace and stability of the country and urged the media, especially radio stations, not to broadcast inflammatory statements that would further escalate tension.
Five persons who were part of the Techimanhene’s convoy who sustained gunshot wounds during the attack and were treated and discharged at the Techiman Holy Family Hospital were also present at the palace. The worst affected was Kwaku Takyi, who is now paralysed and has also lost his speech.
As of the time of arrival of the government delegation at the Techimanhene’s palace both armed police and military personnel had been deployed to keep at bay the crowd that gathered along the main road in front of the palace to show solidarity.
Meanwhile Techiman was calm as people were going about their daily activities. According to Superintendent J.A. Gyau, the Techiman Municipal Police Commander, some youth of the town also attacked some vehicles from Kumasi last Tuesday and smashed the windscreen of a Nissan Urvan bus and a Toyota Comota.
He said the youth was reacting to a similar attack on passengers on board vehicles to Techiman at the Kumasi Kajetia Lorry Park.